Sunday, February 13, 2011

Welding 101

welding

After almost a two month hiatus I was back working on the MG this weekend.  With all my new gear I was anxious to get to the next phase, welding.   I had practiced in the basement a few times over the past month but after l caught the welding directions on fire I was banned to the shed…

DSC01491

I have a small heater now to take the curse off.  It works quite well and I was down to just my shirt in pretty short order.

DSC01490

I started back in by finishing up removing the door pillar.  I had purchased a new one and the one that was on the car was pretty beat up.  Before I can replace it I need to finish off the inner sill replacement.

DSC01390

DSC01489

With the bad parts cut away it was time to start adding stuff back on.  This is my first *official* new weld onto the car.  This was not accomplished without a high amount of anxiety…

DSC01492 After a bit of grinding I was pretty happy with the results.  Note, better welding = less grinding.

DSC01497 From there it was off to section under the front door pillar.

DSC01493

DSC01495

A bit more grinding and some primer and Walla!  Good as new (almost…)

DSC01505

No comments:

Post a Comment