Thursday, January 5, 2012

A New Year and New Home for the MG

What happened to 2011?  The whole year seams to be a blur to me…   I can’t fathom that its been almost a year since my last post.

There has been some work on the MG, but not much.  Most of the summer was spent on garage/shed projects.   Starting in the spring I went about working on fixing the great collapse from last winter.  Basically I had to tear down the old pop-up garage and start over again.  Here is what my “work area” looked like back in May after clearing way the destruction.

IMG_0112[1]

Once I had the old shed torn down and a new one in place it only made sense to lay down some stone inside…  This would get me off the dirt and onto a bit more stable surface. So a few loads of stone and a bit of pushing around and I am back in business.

photo1[1]

Now, what I didn’t realize, but my civil engineering wife warned me about, is that this stone doesn’t really compact very well.  So the MG, once back on the stone, wont roll very easily.  Since the MG is mostly pulled apart, pushing it around is pretty much a necessity… So onto phase 2, lets create a nice concrete base.

IMG_0170[1] IMG_0172[1] IMG_0184[1]

Other than having to haul 6 yards of concrete down from the driveway things went well.   This seams to have done the trick and I was back on a stable base…  About the time I finished this project along came Hurricane Irene.  It took me about two days to rig up something so that the whole shooting match didn't end up in my neighbors side yard.  The big trees all around were swaying in the wind and all I could do is watch.  So on to Plan C… 

I started looking around at a small shed or structure that I could put on my new concrete slab…  Surprisingly I found something that would do the trick and fit into the existing yard.  Just needed to move the existing shed , take down some of the trees, grade out a road down to the shed and slide her into place.  How hard could that be?

DSC_0009[1] IMG_0249[1] IMG_0264[1]

1ce1ccdb[1]

So after all that, wala!, new home for the MG and a pretty sweet place to work in for the winter…

Now where was I on the car?

2 comments:

  1. You need to read "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie". - Jon A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your MG is treated better than some people.. The new MG house looks great, did you put electricity in the new house too?

    ReplyDelete